Tuesday 21 December 2010

Ickle Baby Jeanus And A Wooden Spoon

Dodo is starting to get into the Christmas spirit thing in a big way..her very own big way. For starters the nativity has been getting a Dodo style makeover, with Jesus even being re-named. He has been at turns the "ickle baby jeanus" and "baby genius" Mary and Joseph have kept their given names..but are currently unaware of the gender confusion the infant Christ child is going through. He/she has also been joined in the nativity scene by a whole host of unorthodox characters including Teletubbies, Fathers Christmas (at least he was a saint!) and of course Upsy Daisy. Looks like I may have my work cut out explaining the true meaning of Christmas. I'm sure I will get the withering look and a no, no, no Mama you made a mistake..those aren't shepherds and Jeanus IS a girl!
Nativity team photo
And then the small (or not so) matter of the Christmas list..the list that keeps growing..So far it consists mainly of antiques. First up, the very expensive (I am quoting her on this) doll that she saw at the Tea Rooms in Brick Lane, oh and the vintage tea set and the sofa carpet (your guess?) and a blanket for the doll. Then it takes a musical turn..a guitar and a trumpet and a saxophone and a piano, drums and cymbals that go BANG and a tromboney (sic) her very own one man band! My ears are bleeding at the very thought. 
The one item on the list that stood out for me was a wooden spoon. Just proving the point that kids don't need all the fancy pants bits of plastic the t.v is trying to talk us into. I really love the thought that has gone into Dodo's list she has created a whole game in her mind. It's me that gets carried away with the gift giving, I just love it! Since becoming a mum Christmas has been amazing. I couldn't care less about gifts for me, as long as I have Dodo, family and friends, it will be a great holiday. Top it off with the prospect of a white Christmas and I turn into a totally sentimental fool. Those who know me are fully aware that I burst into tears at the first bar of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. This trait seems to have been passed on in my genes as during Songs of Praise Dodo began fake sobbing when Away in a manger came on. When asked why she said "oh it's just soooo beautiful Mummy!"
This week my house will be full of the sounds of us sobbing into our mince pies in eager anticipation of the arrival of Father Christmas with a wooden spoon.

1 comment: