Thursday 25 November 2010

Writing Workshop: Itch

This is for the writing workshop over at Sleep is for the weak I was inspired by the prompt Itch.

I hate flying. But you see, I have an itch. One that makes me do the very thing I am most terrified of in the world, a wholly self inflicted gut wrenching panic attack inducing leap of faith. All because I have an itch.

This itch started as far back as I can remember. Even in nursery I had the itch, the itch that caused me to walk out of the gates, up the road and all the way back home. My poor Mother has had to suffer for my itch. It sent me off to Glasgow at 14, off to sea at 24, Turkey came next. The itch calmed down for a while. But it was still there..lurking.

I work on the fear of the steel tube with wings and occasionally think I have beaten it into submission, but I know all it takes is one bumpy flight and I am back to the same old sweaty palmed mess. I even cheat by popping a pill, this I must stress is so that I pass only the positive part of my itch to Dodo! I don't want her to have my terror, she thinks flying is fab. As much cartoon action as she can handle, snacks treats and general star treatment..whats not to like?

This is one itch I don't really want to stop. It has made me see things that inspire and move me. It has shaped me and changed my life. Most of all it gave me Dodo..If I hadn't had the itch I wouldn't have been in Istanbul and she might have never been.

Tomorrow the itch and the work that has grown from it is taking me across the sky to Thailand without my Dodo. I am not sure I will sleep much tonight without her warm little body that sneaks into my bed every single night..I wonder if she will catch my itch? I think it may already be to late..
Now where did I put those pills?

No comments:

Post a Comment