Monday 29 November 2010

Xuan Mai = Best Vietnamese Food In Bangkok

Would you believe me if I told you that in Bangkok you can dine in a restaurant that not only serves the finest Vietnamese food, but that it's cooked by a former F.B.I agent who was also a beauty queen? No I hear you cry! Surely Sandra Bullock and co could not come up with a plot that weird..but low and behold it's all true.

Xuan Mai is without a doubt one of my favourite places to eat in Bangkok. Meyung Robson (Chef/F.B.I/Miss Saigon/Superwoman) creates a stunning menu of classic Vietnamese dishes and puts her creative cap on with fantastic original offerings such as the eggplant crostini topped with crab meat and avocado. The menu is extensive but newcomers can trust Meyung to guide them through, she has helpfully taken photos of each of the dishes, which get your mouth watering!
   
I first came across Xuan Mai in the Bangkok City Scoops guide when it was at it's old Sukhumvit location. I was amazed that such refined food could come out of a kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Now Meyung has 2 lovely big new kitchens to work in since moving to the upscale Thong Lor road, the food has remained as fabulous as ever.
Meyung hard at work
On my most recent visit we had the Chả Giò, Vietnamese fried spring rolls from Hanoi. Crispy and delicious they have a fine spidery skin fried to golden perfection with a most meaty filling.

Crispy bites of joy!
We also had the eggplant crostini, Meyung has an American passport so we forgive the use of the word! Us Brits will be more familiar with Aubergine! It was as always, sublime.

We got carried away and started eating, whoops!
I have to mention the most perfect salad EVER! The avocado, mango, shrimp and more salad..every time I visit we have to order it. Just a wonderful combination of flavour could be a meal in itself.

Salad Heaven
I could bang on and on about the food forever but it would be kind of evil. You would be doing yourself a huge favour coming to try it yourself. Meanwhile check out the website and have a look at Meyung's blog, I wish she could find the time to write down all her tales for us, trust me this lady has stories! I look forward to hearing more of them soon.

Address 351/3 Sukhumvit 55, Bangkok
Telephone number (66)02-185-2619

No comments:

Post a Comment