Friday 7 January 2011

Happy Birthday Mr Miyazaki

Twitter lets me know all sorts of odd bits of information that otherwise would pass me by. Yesterday I noticed that Hayao Miyazaki was a trending topic and for one terrible moment I thought that we had lost the great man! Much to my relief I found out that it was a happy reason for the huge number of tweets. Hayao Miyazaki turned 70 yesterday! It was really lovely to read all the birthday wishes and feel the joy that his heartwarming films have brought to so many people.

Big Totoro, little Totoro and a soot sprite
For those of you who are yet to enjoy the world of animated characters that Miyazaki has created I urge you to get your hands on a copy of My Neighbour Totoro. This has to be both Dodo and my favourite movie ever! I really will never forget the first time Dodo watched this film, the look of wonder on her not yet 2 year old face was magic. I was amazed at how it captivated her and inspired her games from the moment she saw it.
Even our pumpkins are Totoro
The dvd is rarely out of the machine (we are on the second copy now!) and we know it word for word. Dodo's second birthday was her Totoro birthday, with toys (hard to find!) and an amazing cake.
Oh dear Totoro has bitten Mei! (Dodo in disguise)

Another more recent gem from Miyazaki is Ponyo, a beautiful story about a little mermaid who wants to be a girl. Take a look at the trailer.



I am a huge fan of all the works of Studio Ghibli, of which Mr Miyazaki co-founded. As Dodo grows up I know she will have so much fun watching the films for older audiences. My big dream is to be able to take her to the amazing museum that Ghibli opened in Japan. I only wish I would be allowed to play on the giant cat bus they have there..boo! for the under twelves only!
So a very happy (little bit belated!) birthday to you Mr Miyazaki and a very big thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service are my son's favorite films! Great post!

    ReplyDelete